The INTACH chapter was started in Pondicherry in 1984. The INTACH Conservation Cell was set up in 1998 with an initial grant-in-aid from the Town and Country Planning Department. Since then, it has been working with the Government of Pondicherry and the public to conserve the architectural heritage and townscape of Pondicherry.
INTACH collaborates with Institut français de Pondichéry (IFP) and Ecole francaise d’Extrême Orient (EFEO) on various projects. It was the late Françoise l'Hernault (1937-1999) of EFEO who initiated the movement to protect the architectural heritage of Pondicherry. This work is now being continued by a team of dedicated architects, engineers and other interested persons.
INTACH works in co-ordination with the Public Works Department, Town and Country Planning Department, Pondicherry Planning Authority, Department of Art and Culture, Department of Education, Pondicherry Tourism and Transport Development Corporation and individual Heritage-building owners.